Observations all along the line - Kimball & the Southern Panhandle First

Early Dismissal Wednesdays Coming To Schools; Farrar Update

The 2020-21 school calendar was approved by the Kimball school board at its regular meeting on Monday, March 9.

According to the calendar, each Wednesday throughout the year will have a 2 p.m. dismissal time. That time will be used for professional development and Professional Learning Communities for the staff.

Another special school board meeting will be held on March 13 at 7:30 in the morning. The newly hired superintendent, Mr. Trevor Anderson, will be in attendance.

In other business, Danessa Terrill, food service director, explained the percentage of free and reduced lunches for the Kimball district, 56%, then she proceeded to explain to the board how people are able to apply and receive those benefits.

She continued to explain that the government grant for the summer breakfast and lunch program has been applied for and she did not see a reason why it would not be funded again.

Terrill further explained that since 2017 an anonymous donor has stepped forward to pay for outstanding lunch bills for students. In the 2017-18 school year, that one donor paid off $800 to the lunch fund for students. In 2018-19 once again another $800 was donated to help students with their lunch bill. Currently, more than $2,000 has been donated by individuals to the lunch fund this year. Terrill praised the community mindedness of the anonymous donors.

The KHS Ag shop will get a lighting improvement as new conduit system will be installed as well as LED lights. The school will be using a MEAN grant to improve the Ag shop.

The regular April school board meeting will be held on April 20 at 6:30 p.m. in room W5 at the junior/senior high school.

In a 5-0 vote, with Carrie Tabor absent, the board accepted the resignation of Stephanie Scales.

As an update on Harold Farrar, the school’s business manager, Cindy Rahmig told the Observer that Farrar is out of ICU and he is improving.

It was four weeks ago this past Monday that Farrar had a medical emergency and was flown to Swedish Hospital in Denver. He remains in the hospital and is doing physical therapy.

Rendered 05/31/2024 21:40