Western Nebraska Observer - Observations all along the line - Kimball & the Southern Panhandle First

Friends and Neighbors: Sue Leininger

Six years after the Corner Bar blaze, Sue carries on


Dawn Fossand

Longtime Kimball resident Sue Leininger, pictured here with her partner, Clem, continues to serve the community following a fire that destroyed her business, The Corner Bar, six years ago.

This week marks the sixth anniversary of the fire that destroyed the nationally registered historic stone building located at 126 S. Chestnut after nearly 115 years of operation.

Once the "old stone store," the building was built from locally quarried limestone in 1894 and opened on January 5, 1895.

History states that the building was first a general merchandise store at the ground level and a community dinner and dance floor on the second level of the building, owned by John Biggs.

At the time of the blaze, on January 2, 2010, the building housed The Corner Bar, as it had for more than 7...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 09/06/2019 03:54