By Jacob Misener
Editor 

Nation mourns, unites following Boston attacks

Obama: “The American people refuse to be terrorized.”

 


What began as an exciting, emotional Patriot Day in downtown Boston took a drastic turn after two bombs exploded, killing three and injuring 176 Monday afternoon.

“Any time bombs are used to target innocent civilians, it is an act of terror,” said President Obama in a briefing Tuesday morning at the White House.

The bombs went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, turning a scene of excitement into pure chaos, with both of the devices exploding within 12 seconds of each other, sending smoke billowing into the Boston sky. One of the bombs was inside a metal pressure cooker, and both were inside black duffel bags.

Roughly three-quarters of the estimated 23,000 runners who flocked to Boston for the race had already crossed the finish line when a bomb detonated around 2:50 p.m in the midst of onlookers on Boylston Street. Approximately twelve seconds later, the second device detonated, as well - several hundred feet from the location of the initial blast.

The devices held large amounts of shrapnel – including ball bearings, nails and metal pellets.

This led to an array of injuries for scores of bystanders who were standing near the finish line, including 8-year old Martin Richard, who was waiting at the finish to cheer on his father. His father, Bill Richard, is not only coping with the loss of his son, but is also alongside his wife and daughter, both of whom sustained injuries in the blasts.

“My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston. My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries,” he said in a statement. “We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met for their thoughts and prayers. I ask that you continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin.”

Earlier reports of other devices had been dispelled Tuesday by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said that no suspects were in custody, as of Tuesday morning, and that the authorities are “processing the most complex crime in the history of our department.”

Two sweeps for explosive devices were made Monday morning, with the first coming early in the day and the second coming an hour before the first runners crossed the finish lines, but neither came up with any traces of the devices.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has taken the lead in the investigation, but had no theory of a motive as of late Tuesday morning. However, according to CNN, investigators were being urged to be on the lookout for “a darker-skinned or black male” with a possible foreign accent, in connection with Monday’s bombings.


“The situation remains fluid, and it remains to early to establish the cause and motivation,” the FBI’s Boston Division said in a released statement.

An apartment complex was raided and evidence was collected from 364 Ocean Avenue near the city, with possible connections to the attacks. The apartment raided is home to a 20-year old Saudi student in the United States studying English. The bomb squad also searched the premises, but authorities emphasized the fact that no arrests had been made at the time.

“If you want to know who we are, what America is, how we respond to evil,” that is it: selflessly, compassionately, unafraid,” said Obama.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018