Western Nebraska Observer - Observations all along the line - Kimball & the Southern Panhandle First

Council approves housing study, changes in zoning for RV park

 


A public hearing for an amendment to the City of Kimball zoning ordinance to amend district C-4 traveler services district conditional uses was held at the Oct. 7 city council meeting.

The rezoning of the property on which now sits a future RV park was changed to C-4 (traveler services district). This zoning more appropriately serves the purpose of the business that will inhabit the property, which will be an RV park. The RV park will be located at the site of what was formerly known as the Hilltop Mobile Home Park. The C-4 zoning will allow in the conditional uses open recreational vehicle parks, operated for profit or otherwise. Also, one-family dwelling may be used, which includes a mobile home as a primary residence if inhabited by a person or persons directly engaged in the management of the recreational vehicle park. This means that those running the park will be able to live in the park in order to run it effectively.

After the public hearing, the council approved the rezoning request.

The council also considered looking at a comprehensive planning program at the meeting. This comprehensive planning program will include preparation for a community housing study and will allow the city to better grasp what changes in zoning would be beneficial to future economic development.

Wilson Bowling, the city’s director of economic development, told the council that it is recommended that a housing study be conducted in a community every five years to maintain an up-to-date perspective on what a community needs. Kimball’s last housing study was conducted in 2002.

Hanna Keelan Associates is the company that has been chosen to use to complete the comprehensive planning program. Bowling informed the council that the City of Kimball was approved for a NIFA grant.

“The NIFA grant will cover 49 percent of the costs for the housing study and then we will be responsible for the remaining 51 percent. This will come out of the economic development funds,” Bowling said.

The council approved the request to move forward with the housing study.

The mayor authorized the bond purchase agreement with Ameritas Investment Corp. This agreement essentially is a refinancing of the General Ordinance Water Refunding Bonds. Through using Ameritas Investment Corp., the city has reduced its payback by a year and its yearly savings is about $1,500.

The Kimball Concert Association asked for $1,000 in KENO funds to help with its $16,700 project. The council agreed that the Kimball Concert Association brings people into Kimball and benefits the community by providing a great selection of entertainment. They were unanimously awarded the KENO funds for their project.

The city’s new treasurer, Laurie Sisk, was also at the meeting. She explained how she grew up in Kimball, graduated from Kimball High School and has lived in the community. The council expressed their sadness to see former treasurer Meg Strauch leave, but also expressed their excitement to welcome Sisk.

The city council’s next meeting will be held at 7 p.m. on Oct. 21.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017

Rendered 06/06/2018 18:31